Site 9a. CATHERINE and NORTH FOURTH AVENUE

   This is the area where suppliers and manufacturers established themselves between the town center and the railroad line. They provided the lumber, coal, flour, oil, ice and supplies needed to develop and maintain a prosperous community. Nearby were the homes of workers, and the adjacent area became a neighborhood of evolving ethnic diversity.



Photos Courtesy of the Bentley Historical Library

Click within the image below for a closer look
print this panel

Gas station run by the Ann Arbor Cooperative SocietyDrawing of Anton Eisele's Marble works, 1874Workers in front of Baumbardner's Marble WorksPanel Information
Advertisement for The Advance Iron MowerDrawing of Hay & Todd Manufacturing Company, 1896View Northeast From Courthouse Tower, 1879