Agricultural Works, 1866


Agricultural Works, 1866

In 1866 Lewis Moore and his son Eli began building an agricultural implement factory on the north bank of the river on the site of an old paper mill. By 1896 the Ann Arbor Agricultural Works, seen above in a fanciful drawing, covered three acres. It was one of the largest employers in town with a machine shop, warehouse, lumber yard, and its own railroad spur. The machinery was powered by water from the millrace, later supplemented by steam. The headrace ran under Broadway and the tailrace flowed out next to the foundry.

Frame location: on Broadway Bridge

This image may be protected by copyright law. Contact the Bentley Historical Library for permission to reproduce, display or transmit this image. Repository: Bentley Historical Library


Article Keywords: Agricultural Works, Businesses, Factories, Farm Equipment, Illustrations, Manufacturing
People: Eli Moore, Lewis Moore
pictureAnnArbor: The Agricultural Works and Lower Town, Site 10: Broadway Bridge Porcelain Displays, Downtown Ann Arbor Historical Street Exhibit Program
Date: 1866

Copyright: Copyright Protected


| Report Problem