Huron Block, 1831


Huron Block, 1831

The two-story building on the far right in this early photograph was erected in 1831 on this side of Broadway by Asa Smith for his home and cabinet shop. It was the first brick structure in Lower Town. Next door, in 1833, Josiah Beckley built the three-story Huron block where he had a general store. It faced Anson Brown's new building on the other side of Broadway. Upstairs, Josiah's brother Guy Beckley published an influential abolitionist newspaper, "The Signal of Liberty," from 1841 to 1847. Over time the block housed grocery and variety stores, saloons, a meat market, and a bakery. Wooden sidewalks and cobblestone gutters edged the dirt street. The block was demolished in 1959.

Frame location: East side at north end of bridge

This image may be protected by copyright law. Contact the Bentley Historical Library for permission to reproduce, display or transmit this image. Repository: Bentley Historical Library


Article Keywords: Bars, Businesses, General Stores, Grocery Stores, Historic Buildings, Huron Block, Restaurants, Stores & Shops
People: Anson Brown, Asa Smith, Guy Beckley, Josiah Beckley
pictureAnnArbor: Site 10b: Lower Town, Downtown Ann Arbor Historical Street Exhibit Program
Date: 1831

Copyright: Copyright Protected


| Report Problem