Aerial of Ann Arbor High School building (later UM Frieze Building) built in 1907


Aerial of Ann Arbor High School building (later UM Frieze Building) built in 1907

After the old building burned in 1904, the 1907 building featured cutting-edge Chute-designed laboratories, a gymnasium, expanded vocational courses, and an attached public Carnegie Library that was shared with the school. The Daily Times proudly declared it "the finest public school building in Michigan, if not in the United States."

In 1956 Ann Arbor High School moved to its new building on West Stadium, later renamed Pioneer High School. UM had bought the old school and library buildings and named them to honor former Professor Henry Simmons Frieze. Classrooms were used mainly for theater, social work, and languages. Trueblood Auditorium and the Arena Theater provided space for training and performances. The buildings were demolished in 2007 to erect "North Quad," combined dorm and academic buildings mixing students' living and learning spaces. The facade of the Carnegie Library on Huron Street and architectural elements from the old high school were integrated into the new buildings.

Frame location: Corner of State and Huron, Northwest

This image may be protected by copyright law. Contact the Bentley Historical Library for permission to reproduce, display or transmit this image. Repository: Bentley Historical Library


Article Keywords: Ann Arbor High School, Ann Arbor Public Library, Ann Arbor Public Schools - Buildings, Frieze Building, Libraries, North Quadrangle, Pioneer High School, University of Michigan, University of Michigan - Buildings
pictureAnnArbor: Ann Arbor High School, Site 11: Schools and Churches, Downtown Ann Arbor Historical Street Exhibit Program
Date: 1907

Copyright: Copyright Protected


| Report Problem