Engineering Laboratory


Engineering Laboratory

Engineering classes had been taught in the literary department beginning in 1853. This laboratory, begun in 1885, was expanded several times, providing drawing rooms, testing machines, steam engines, and a 70 foot tower with a water tank for hydraulic work. A separate college by 1895, engineering dominated the southeast corner of campus for a century. The laboratory itself was replaced by the undergraduate library in 1956.

Frame location: West side of State Street north of the walk on the north side of the Michigan Union, facing east

This image may be protected by copyright law. Contact the Bentley Historical Library for permission to reproduce, display or transmit this image. Repository: Bentley Historical Library


Article Keywords: Education, Laboratories, Shapiro Undergraduate Library, University of Michigan, University of Michigan - Academic Programs, University of Michigan - Buildings
pictureAnnArbor: Site 14b: University of Michigan Campus, 1907, Downtown Ann Arbor Historical Street Exhibit Program

Copyright: Copyright Protected


| Report Problem