Hospital Pavilions from Campus, ca.1880


Hospital Pavilions from Campus, ca.1880

One of the original four faculty houses was converted in 1869 into the first university teaching hospital in the nation. Long wooden pavilions added to the rear were designed to be burned in case of contamination. The structure was replaced by a new chemistry building in 1909. Note the formality of student dress.

Frame location: West side of State Street north of the walk on the north side of the Michigan Union, facing east

This image may be protected by copyright law. Contact the Bentley Historical Library for permission to reproduce, display or transmit this image. Repository: Bentley Historical Library


Article Keywords: Education, University of Michigan, University of Michigan - Buildings, University of Michigan - Campus, University of Michigan - Hospitals, University of Michigan - Students
pictureAnnArbor: Site 14b: University of Michigan Campus, 1907, Downtown Ann Arbor Historical Street Exhibit Program
Date: 1880

Copyright: Copyright Protected


| Report Problem