Detroit Observatory, 1858


Detroit Observatory, 1858

Completed in 1854 on a hill northeast of campus, the Detroit observatory demonstrated president Tappan's commitment to practical scientific education. Detroit businessmen, eager for an accurate timekeeping service, provided funding. director Franz Brunnow was UM's first ph.d. professor and became Tappan's son-in-law. the observatory, stripped of later additions and restored, with its two original telescopes, reopened as a museum in 1999.

Frame location: West side of State Street north of the walk on the north side of the Michigan Union, facing east

This image may be protected by copyright law. Contact the Bentley Historical Library for permission to reproduce, display or transmit this image. Repository: Bentley Historical Library




President's House from Campus, 1870s


President's House from Campus, 1870s

One of the four faculty houses built in 1840 became the president's house when Henry P. Tappan arrived in 1852. It is the only surviving original campus building. the third floor and kitchen wing were added before 1871, when James B. Angell made indoor plumbing a requirement for accepting the presidency. the campus side included barns, an orchard, and a vegetable garden.

Frame location: West side of State Street north of the walk on the north side of the Michigan Union, facing east

This image may be protected by copyright law. Contact the Bentley Historical Library for permission to reproduce, display or transmit this image. Repository: Bentley Historical Library




Law Building


Law Building

The Law Building, completed in 1863 north of Mason Hall, was expanded and remodeled several times. It was renamed Haven Hall, after the Law Quadrangle was completed in 1933, and provided offices and classrooms until destroyed by fire in 1950.

Frame location: West side of State Street north of the walk on the north side of the Michigan Union, facing east

This image may be protected by copyright law. Contact the Bentley Historical Library for permission to reproduce, display or transmit this image. Repository: Bentley Historical Library




Homeopathic Hospital


Homeopathic Hospital

Across North University from the Winchell House, two of the four original campus faculty residences were converted to hospitals. This house became the Homeopathic Hospital in 1875, initially sharing space with the dental school.

Frame location: South side of North University, east end of the Diag, facing northeast toward Hill Auditorium

This image may be protected by copyright law. Contact the Bentley Historical Library for permission to reproduce, display or transmit this image. Repository: Bentley Historical Library




Alexander Winchell House, 1870s


Alexander Winchell House, 1870s

In 1913 Hill Auditorium replaced science professor Alexander Winchell's 1858 brick octagon house. It was among several large homes on North University, one of four tree-lined boulevards surrounding the original campus. Harper's Weekly reported in 1880, "The enormous college piles that almost crowd each other on the forty-acre campus are mainly severely plain, but are all the more impressive in consequence. Facing them around the sides of the campus are many stone and brick fraternity houses, many frame dwellings, and a block or two of shops." In the twentieth century, Winchell's entire neighborhood was replaced by the University's northward expansion of cultural facilities. Hill Auditorium, donated by Regent Arthur Hill and designed by Albert Kahn, culminated a two-decade effort by the private University Musical Society and UM regents to erect a large hall for musical events. The Frieze Memorial Organ was moved from University Hall to Hill's 4,200-seat auditorium with its renowned acoustics. Before the end of the century, the carillon of Burton Tower (1936) would ring over the women's Michigan League (1929), Rackham (1938), and Power Center for the Performing Arts (1971), buildings funded largely by private contributions. Gordon Mendelssohn gave the League's theater in honor of his mother, Lydia. The building, with its ballroom, dining room, and meeting rooms, was the result of years of fundraising events - plays, bazaars, flower shows, and rummage sales uniting women students and alumnae.

Frame location: South side of North University, east end of the Diag, facing northeast toward Hill Auditorium

Collection info: Winchell Box 1, Sturgis AA273-8

This image may be protected by copyright law. Contact the Bentley Historical Library for permission to reproduce, display or transmit this image. Repository: Bentley Historical Library




Henry Aldridge and Barton Theater pipe organ


Henry Aldridge and Barton Theater pipe organ

Henry Aldridge was one of the leaders in saving the Michigan Theater. For years he had worked with others to restore the Barton Theater pipe organ, originally used to accompany silent films.

This image may be protected by copyright law. Contact the Bentley Historical Library for permission to reproduce, display or transmit this image. Repository: Bentley Historical Library




The original art glass window


The original art glass window

The original art glass windows can still be seen in the front of the Lorch addition.

This image may be protected by copyright law. Contact the Bentley Historical Library for permission to reproduce, display or transmit this image. Repository: Bentley Historical Library




Ladies Library Association building, built 1885


Ladies Library Association building, built 1885

In 1866, thirty-five women had put in three dollars each to start the Ladies' Library Association and pledged a dollar a year to purchase books for the public to borrow.

After moving from one location to another, the Ladies' Library (since demolished) was built at 324 East Huron, on the south side west of Division in 1885.

Frame location: Corner of State and Huron, Northwest

This image may be protected by copyright law. Contact the Bentley Historical Library for permission to reproduce, display or transmit this image. Repository: Bentley Historical Library




Ladies Library Plaque, 1885


Ladies Library Plaque, 1885

Plaque on the Ladies' Library building, built in 1885.

Frame location: Corner of State and Huron, Northwest

This image may be protected by copyright law. Contact the Bentley Historical Library for permission to reproduce, display or transmit this image. Repository: Bentley Historical Library




Carnegie Library Interior


Carnegie Library Interior

Second floor, Carnegie Library interior, ca. 1910.

Frame location: Corner of State and Huron, Northwest

This image may be protected by copyright law. Contact the Bentley Historical Library for permission to reproduce, display or transmit this image. Repository: Bentley Historical Library




Syndicate content