SITE 7: COURTHOUSE SQUARE: HURON and MAIN

Sponsored by First Martin Corporation

Photos Courtesy of the Bentley Historical Library and collection of H. M. Hildebrandt

Click within the image below for a closer look
print this panel


Panel Information
Greyhound 1970
Victory Coach
draftees
floor plan
construction
Lobby
greyhound 1960
lunch counter

SITE 7: COURTHOUSE SQUARE: HURON and MAIN

Sponsored by First Martin Corporation Photos Courtesy of the Bentley Historical Library and collection of H. M. Hildebrandt

Click within the image below for a closer look
print this panel


ticket
Interurban 1915
Interurban car
Panel Information
Demo
1939 Greyhound

Panel Information: From Interurbans to Buses

In 1929 long-distance buses replaced the electric interurban for travel between Ann Arbor and other cities. The first interurban in the state had linked Ann Arbor and Ypsilanti in 1891. Junius Beal, UM Regent and one of the main stockholders, explained that it was greatly helped by the fact that “Ann Arbor had 3,000 boys and not enough girls; Ypsilanti had 1,000 girls at the Normal College [now EMU] and not enough boys.” Interurbans ran east on Packard to Detroit and west on Huron to Jackson every half hour or hour.

The era of the interurban ended due to com- petition from buses, autos, and trucks. Interstate buses used the old interurban station until it was demolished in 1939 and a modern bus depot built in 1940.

Production and Installation Sources

Ray Detter, Coordinator
120 N. Division, Ann Arbor, MI 48104
Phone: 734-668-7027
Email: rdetter@umich.edu

Carl Luckenbach, Project Architect
Luckenback-Ziegelman, Architects
255 East Liberty, Ann Arbor 48104
Phone: 734-997-9444

Don Hammond, Project Designer
Hammond Design
301 Wilton St., Ann Arbor 48103
Phone: 734-604-2811

Joe O’Neal, Engineering and Installation
O’Neal Construction, Inc.
525 W. William, Ann Arbor 48103
Phone: 734-769-0770

Glass Panel Manufacturers
Imaging Sciences
38174 Willoughby Parkway
Willoughby, Ohio 44094
Phone: 440-975-9640
Fax: 440-975-9657
Email: sales@imaging-sciences.com
Website: www.imaging-sciences.com

Glass Installers
Calvin & Co., Inc.
3100 Airport St.
P.O. Box 7435, Flint, MI 48507
Phone: 810-239-3324

Porcelain Enamel Images
Winsor Fireform
3401 Mottman Road, S.W.
Tumwater, Washington 98512
Phone: 800-824-7506

Stainless Steel Frames
Special Fabricators
31649 Stevenson Highway
Madison Heights, MI 48071
Phone: 248-588-6717

Recognition Plaques, Bronze Artifacts
W.A.P. John at Grafaktri, Inc.
1200 N. Main, Ann Arbor 48104
Phone: 734-662-3902

SITE 12: WALL DISPLAY : Uptown Theaters

Sponsored by Ralph P. Beebe, Pauline V. Walters, and First Martin Corporation

Photos courtesy of the Bentley Historical Library

Click within the image below for a closer look
print this panel


Majestic program advertisement, 1914
Majestic
The Arcade Theater, 1925
State Theatre
Duke Ellington, 1940
Barton Theater pipe organ
Michigan Theater
East Liberty Street, 1929
Panel Information

SITE 12: WALL DISPLAY : From Liveries to Taxis

Sponsored by First Martin Corporation

Photos Courtesy of the Bentley Historical Library

Click within the image below for a closer look
print this panel


Panel Information
Red Top cabs, 1920s
Taxicab company, 1916s
Lew Hammond drives a cutter, 1910
Panorama of East Liberty looking West, 1912
Merchants delivery
Walker’s Livery, 515 East Liberty Street, ca. 1912

SITE 12: WALL DISPLAY : The James Foster House of Art

Sponsored by the Issa Family

We wish to thank the Ann Arbor community for its partnership over the years. Its embrace of cultural diversity and acceptance of change has guided our success. Through promotion of ideals of peace, family values and tolerance, we hope to contribute to a stronger, more vibrant community.

Photos courtesy of the Bentley Historical Library and the Ann Arbor Area Community Foundation

Click within the image below for a closer look
print this panel


original art glass window
Goodyears department store, 1939
Panel Information
James Foster, Clarice Foster and Jesse Daley
Foster’s Art Goods Store, 213-215 South State Street, 1914

Anal Shah at the 45th Ann Arbor Film Festival


Anal Shah at the 45th Ann Arbor Film Festival
Rights Held By: 
Ann Arbor Film Festival



Map of the Broadway Bridge Exhibits


Potawatomi Marker Stone, 2008
Edison Power Station, 2008
1001-1007 Broadway
Edison Warehouse, 2008
Gandy Dancer, 2008
Ann Arbor Amtrak Station, 2008
The Finest on the Line
Along the Michigan Central Railroad Tracks
 SITE 10a. BROADWAY BRIDGE at entrance to Broadway Park
SITE 10b. BROADWAY at SWIFT: east side at north end of bridge
The Clairvoyant Physician
The Underground Railroad
From Industry to Parks
Early Power and Transportation
Lower Town's Flour Mills
The Agricultural Works and Lower Town

SITE 10a. BROADWAY BRIDGE at entrance to Broadway Park
Lower town, transportation, town and gown.

SITE 10b. BROADWAY at SWIFT: east side at north end of bridge
Lower town, transportation, town and gown.

SITE 10: Broadway Bridge Porcelain Display : Along the Michigan Central Railroad Tracks

Sponsored by First Martin Corporation

Photos Courtesy of Bentley Historical Library

Click within the image below for a closer look
print this panel


Panel Information
stone slabs for sidewalks, 1880s
Broadway looking east, 1886
train station depot, 1886

Syndicate content