Site 1. LIBERTY and DIVISION: in Liberty Plaza

This exhibit looks at residential life; it was here the earliest settlers and most prominent families built their homes. Small, family owned businesses sprung up around them. Changes in architectural styles reflected the different economic and cultural patterns of the times.

Photos Courtesy of the Bentley Historical Library

These images may be protected by copyright law. Contact the Bentley Historical Library for permission to reproduce, display or transmit these images. Repository: Bentley Historical Library

Italianate house, 1884


Italianate house, 1884

The Italianate house above was built in 1884 by German immigrant Jacob Hoffstetter and his wife Gertrude. The Hoffstetters had operated a grocery store and saloon on Main Street since 1872

Frame location: East Washington Street

This image may be protected by copyright law. Contact the Bentley Historical Library for permission to reproduce, display or transmit this image. Repository: Bentley Historical Library




pre-Civil War parsonage


pre-Civil War parsonage

Frame location: East Washington Street

This image may be protected by copyright law. Contact the Bentley Historical Library for permission to reproduce, display or transmit this image. Repository: Bentley Historical Library




Graves Garage, 1925


Graves Garage, 1925

Albert and Beatrice Graves moved into the former parsonage. They built a concrete block auto-repair shop behind the house Graves Garage—where they also sold used cars. After Albert died in 1927, various auto-related businesses leased the garage. The last—Maynard Battery and Auto Electric Shop—vacated it in 1965. Mrs. Graves had earlier divided the house into two rental apartments.

Frame location: East Washington Street

This image may be protected by copyright law. Contact the Bentley Historical Library for permission to reproduce, display or transmit this image. Repository: Bentley Historical Library




Thank you letter, 2009


Thank you letter, 2009

In 2009 the Heydons received this thank you letter.

Frame location: East Washington Street

This image may be protected by copyright law. Contact the Bentley Historical Library for permission to reproduce, display or transmit this image. Repository: Bentley Historical Library




Jacob Hoffstetter’s grocery store and saloon


Jacob Hoffstetter’s grocery store and saloon

Two blocks away on Main Street near West Washington Street was the site of Jacob Hoffstetter’s grocery store and saloon, circled.

Frame location: East Washington Street

This image may be protected by copyright law. Contact the Bentley Historical Library for permission to reproduce, display or transmit this image. Repository: Bentley Historical Library




First Methodist Episcopal church, 1838


First Methodist Episcopal church, 1838

First Methodist Episcopal church at Ann and Fifth Avenue, built 1838

Frame location: East Washington Street

This image may be protected by copyright law. Contact the Bentley Historical Library for permission to reproduce, display or transmit this image. Repository: Bentley Historical Library




First Methodist Episcopal church, 1866


First Methodist Episcopal church, 1866

First Methodist Episcopal church at State and Washington, built 1866

Frame location: East Washington Street

This image may be protected by copyright law. Contact the Bentley Historical Library for permission to reproduce, display or transmit this image. Repository: Bentley Historical Library




Untitled


Untitled
Rights Held By: 
Ann Arbor District Library



Untitled


Untitled
Rights Held By: 
Ann Arbor District Library



IMG_8263


IMG_8263
Rights Held By: 
Ann Arbor District Library



Syndicate content