Site 11. STATE and HURON

   Ann Arbor is famous as a city of schools, but its church life is hardly less vigorous and influential. The two institutions have been as closely linked in their purposes as they have in location, notably on this corner. The connection is nicely symbolized by Harris Hall, built by St. Andrews Church for the activities of the Hobart Guild of Episcopal students, across the street from the former Unitarian Church. The exhibit documents the development of the corner as it relates to the nearby neighborhood.


WALL DISPLAY 1: Ann Arbor High School
WALL DISPLAY 2: Carnegie Library
WALL DISPLAY 3: Harris Hall

Photos Courtesy of the Bentley Historical Library

Click within the image below for a closer look
print this panel

First Congregational ChurchView west on Huron Street, 1870Looking South on State Street, ca. 1916Panel InformationThe New High School, 1907Ann Arbor High School Graduating Class of 1874Ruins of old high school, 1904Ann Arbor High School ca. 1894