Site 9b. FIFTH AVENUE at DETROIT

   This is the area where suppliers and manufacturers established themselves between the town center and the railroad line. They provided the lumber, coal, flour, oil, ice and supplies needed to develop and maintain a prosperous community. Nearby were the names of workers, and the adjacent area became a neighborhood of evolving ethnic diversity.



Photos Courtesy of the Bentley Historical Library and the Ann Arbor News

WALL DISPLAY 1: Ann Arbor’s African American Community
WALL DISPLAY 2: A Changing Neighborhood
WALL DISPLAY 3: Between Downtown and the Railroad
WALL DISPLAY 4: Industry on Detroit Street

Click within the image below for a closer look
print this panel


Drawing of Luick Mill, 1874Luick Brothers Employees, 1895Panel Informationinterior office of Charles Godfrey's moving and storage businessWashtenaw Farm and Garden Center, early 1960sFarmer's Market under construction, 1941Etching of Luick Brothers Lumber Company, 1895