Chemical Laboratory, 1870s


Chemical Laboratory, 1870s

Built in 1856 at the request of President Tappan, the "chemical laboratory for analytical courses" was one of the first in the world devoted exclusively to laboratory instruction in chemistry. Originally only three rooms, it was expanded many times, and provided 135 lab benches by 1868. After a new chemistry building was erected in 1909, the economics department occupied the old building until it was destroyed by fire in 1981.

Frame location: West side of State Street north of the walk on the north side of the Michigan Union, facing east

This image may be protected by copyright law. Contact the Bentley Historical Library for permission to reproduce, display or transmit this image. Repository: Bentley Historical Library


Article Keywords: Education, Laboratories, portraits, University of Michigan, University of Michigan - Academic Programs, University of Michigan - Buildings, University of Michigan - President
People: Henry Philip Tappan
pictureAnnArbor: Site 14b: University of Michigan Campus, 1907, Downtown Ann Arbor Historical Street Exhibit Program

Copyright: Copyright Protected


| Report Problem