South University and East University panorama


South University and East University panorama

In the 1898 panorama above, campus buildings had not yet reached this corner. The School of Engineering and its shops can be seen in the distance. Cousins and Hall greenhouses and florist shop occupied most of the first block across South University, which was then an unpaved boulevard.Houses lined the avenues surrounding campus as well as both sides of South University all the way to Washtenaw Avenue. (See [url=/gallery/aastreets/site15/wall_diplays/w1/1880_birdseye.jpg.html]1880 birdseye[/url].)

This image may be protected by copyright law. Contact the Bentley Historical Library for permission to reproduce, display or transmit this image. Repository: Bentley Historical Library


pictureAnnArbor: The Corners of South University and East University Avenues, Site 15: Social and Political Change on South University, Downtown Ann Arbor Historical Street Exhibit Program

Copyright: Copyright Protected
Rights Held by: Ann Arbor District Library